This sweet, luscious and incredibly scrumptious Strawberries and Cream Tres Leches Cake is an excellent make-ahead dessert for celebrations!
This fresh and springy dessert is one for the books! My first tres leches cake I posted last week, the Chocolate Mocha Tres Leches Cake was so successful with my Dinner in 321 family that I wanted to try another flavor.
One of my favorite candies, when I was little, was Strawberries and Creme Life Saver Creme Savers. They quit making them in 2011, and I've read they made a return in 2021, but I've yet to find them. Nonetheless, this incredible cake gives you those same yummy flavors as the candy but even better!
Tres Leches cakes are traditionally made from scratch as a spongecake. Mine starts with a cake mix with some added richness with more eggs and sour cream. Saturated with a light and delicious 3 milk strawberry pour over and topped with fresh vanilla whipped cream and strawberries, talk about heaven! It's dressed for spring gatherings and will be perfect for Cinco de Mayo coming up in a few weeks!
Table of Contents
What You’ll Need
Ingredient Amounts Listed in the Recipe Card Below
Strawberries and Creme Tres Leches Cake
- Vanilla or French Vanilla Cake Mix (or homemade as noted below)
- Sour Cream
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Fresh Strawberries
- Evaporated Milk
- Half and Half
Tres Leches Topping
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Powdered Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Fresh Strawberries, for garnish
Tools You’ll Need
- Mixing Bowls
- Hand Mixer
- Strawberry Huller
- 13”x9” Baking Dish
Why You’ll like this Recipe
- It’s a perfect cake to make ahead for holidays or celebrations!
- The whipped topping combined with the berries and cake is dreamy!
- This cake is tender, moist, and the epitome of decadence!
How to Make This Recipe
- For the cake, whisk or beat together the cake mix, milk, oil, eggs and sour cream in a large bowl until well combined.
- Pour in a buttered or non-stick sprayed 13”x9” baking dish, spread evenly, then bake for 30-34 minutes at 350℉. While warm, poke holes over the entire cake.
- Meanwhile, while the cake is baking, make the tres leches topping. In a medium bowl, mash strawberries and sugar together with a potato masher or fork until there are no large strawberry pieces remaining.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sweetened condensed milk and the strawberries until smooth. Add evaporated milk and half and half and whisk again until well combined. Once the cake has finished baking and holes have been poked, evenly pour the tres leches topping over the entire cake.
- For the whipped topping, beat heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract in a large bowl on high speed with a hand mixer until stiff peaks form. Once the cake has completely cooled, evenly spread the whipped topping on top.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving. It’s optimal to let it refrigerate overnight. Slice and serve garnished as desired.
Tips and Substitutions
- Strawberries and Creme Tres Leches Cake tastes best when served chilled, so remove it from the refrigerator about 30 minutes before serving.
- If you want to substitute with a homemade cake mix, here are the ingredients:
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour, 1 ½ cups granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon baking powder, 1 tsp salt
- Add ½ teaspoon vanilla extract into the mixed batter.
- If you don't like the strawberry pieces laying between the cake and the whipped topping, you can also blend the tres leches portion of the recipe in a blender until smooth.
- Greek Yogurt can be substituted for sour cream
- This Strawberries and Creme Tres Leches cake should be stored in the refrigerator because of the milk content. It can be kept in the refrigerator in an air-tight container for up to four days.
- You can also freeze the cake portion and add the tres leches and whipped topping later. Simply wrap the cake tightly in plastic wrap and aluminum foil, and store it in an airtight container or freezer bag. It will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw it in the refrigerator before adding the tres leches and whipped topping.
Frequently Asked Questions
Personally, a hot cup of coffee paired with a slice of this cool cake is pure heaven. A tall glass of milk is also amazing with it!
Traditional tres leches cake is made with flour, which contains gluten. However, there are gluten-free versions of tres leches cake that use alternative flours, such as almond flour or gluten-free all-purpose flour.
Yes! See how to make a homemade chocolate cake mix under “Tips and Substitutions.”
There can be several reasons, but here are some troubleshoots:
Make sure the heavy whipping cream is very chilled and the mixing bowl and beaters are also cold.
Don't use lower-fat cream or old/expired cream.
Don't over or under-beat the cream. It should take almost 2 minutes to come to a stiff peak. Less time will be too thin and more can make it grainy and butter-like.
Absolutely! Fresh whipped cream is pretty incredible with Strawberries and Creme Tres Leches Cake, and easy to make, but you can substitute it with an 8oz or 12oz whipped topping from the freezer section that has been thawed.
Greek Yogurt is a fantastic substitute for sour cream. It's lower calorie and lower fat, with an added increase in protein.
You can use sugar substitutes like stevia, Splenda, or similar. Use sugar free whipped topping.
More Recipes Like This
- Chocolate Mocha Tres Leches Cake
- Cherry Berry On a Cloud
- Be My Darlin' Berries
- One Bite Cheesecakes
- Sweet Cream Pound Cake
Strawberries and Cream Tres Leches Cake
- 15.25 oz vanilla or French vanilla cake mix
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
Tres Leche Topping
- ¾ cup sweetened condensed milk
- ½ lb fresh strawberries stem removed
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ¾ cup evaporated milk
- ¾ cup half and half
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ lb fresh strawberries stem removed and chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350℉.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, milk, oil, eggs and sour cream. Whisk or beat with a hand mixer until well combined.
- Butter or spray with non-stick sprayed 13”x9” baking dish. Pour in and evenly spread the cake batter.
- Bake 30-34 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean. While the cake is still warm, poke holes over the entire surface.
Tres Leche Topping
- While the cake is baking, make the tres leches topping. In a medium bowl, mash strawberries and sugar together with a potato masher or fork until there are no large strawberry pieces remaining.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sweetened condensed milk and the strawberries until smooth. Add evaporated milk and half and half and whisk again until well combined.
- Once the cake has finished baking and holes have been poked, evenly pour the tres leches topping over the entire cake.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Beat on high speed with a hand mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Once the cake has completely cooled, evenly spread the whipped topping on top. Garnish with chopped strawberries
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving. It’s best if it sits overnight. Slice and serve garnished as desired.