Table of Contents
Bisquick Sausage Balls
- 11-12 ounces creamy pimento cheese Palmetto Cheese preferably, see notes for alternatives.
- 1 pound pork breakfast sausage
- 2 ¼ cups Bisquick Original Pancake & Baking Mix
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- To a medium mixing bowl, add the biscuit mix, pimento cheese and sausage. Mix by hand, with a hand mixer, or in a stand mixer with the dough hook or paddle attachment until the sausage mixture is incorporated well.
- Scoop and roll into 1-inch balls.
- Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray or line with non-stick aluminum foil. Add the sausage balls to the pan.
- Bake at 375ºF 15-20 minutes or until they’re golden brown on top and cooked through at a minimum internal temperature of 160°F (71°C). Transfer immediately to a serving dish.
Tips for Success and Substitutions
- Pan Preparation: Bake the sausage balls on a parchment-lined baking sheet or pan spritzed with nonstick cooking spray. Nonstick aluminum foil also works great! These make for easier cleanup.
- Bisquick Mix Substitution: You can substitute the Bisquick mix with one of these options:
- 11.36 ounce Red Lobster Biscuit Mix (see my Spicy Sausage Balls recipe)
- Homemade Bisquick Mix Substitution: Combine 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoons baking powder, ½ teaspoon salt, and 2 tablespoons grated cold butter.
- 2 cups self-rising flour plus ¼ cup milk
- 2 cups pancake mix
- Sausage Variety: Pork breakfast sausage is the most commonly used sausage, but you can choose your favorite sausage variety—whether it's mild sausage, hot sausage, mild Italian sausage, hot Italian sausage, or a unique flavor blend—to personalize it to your taste. The level of fat content can change the texture of the end product.
- Spice it Up: Besides the option of using spicy sausage and spicy pimento cheese, you can also add a pinch of cayenne or red pepper flakes for a spicier kick.
- Pimento Cheese Substitution: You can experiment with different pimento cheese flavors. Palmetto's original, jalapeño, and p You can also omit the pimento cheese and instead use 1 ¼ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese and 8 ounces cream cheese.
- Dipping Sauces: Pair your 3 ingredient sausage balls with a tangy dipping sauce like honey mustard, bbq sauce, or ranch dressing for an extra layer of flavor. It’s also excellent served with maple syrup.
- Seasoning Additions: You can add additional seasonings as desired such as garlic powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, black pepper, ground sage, or crushed red pepper flakes.