This Chex Mix recipe is the best homemade and oven-baked party mix around. Made with Chex cereal, pretzels, Cheez-its, and peanuts, it's great for any large event or to give as a gift. Customize this simple snack with your favorite mix-ins.
Are you ready to elevate your snack game? Look no further than this irresistible homemade Chex Mix recipe that promises a perfect balance of savory, crunchy goodness for every occasion.
The smell of Chex Mix baking in the oven is one that instantly transports you to your childhood. It's one of my mom's recipes that says Merry Christmas! One of my favorite memories, on a night when school was cancelled the following day for snow, she would get a bowl for us to share while we played Super Mario Brothers.
Whether you're gearing up for game day, holiday gatherings, a movie night, or just craving a satisfying munch, this simple homemade Chex Mix recipe is your go-to snack. Make sure you check out my other crunchy munch mixes! Caramel Chex Mix, Salty and Sweet Chex Mix, and Charcuterie Party Mix will all have everyone reaching for more!
Table of Contents
Why You'll Love this Recipe
- Customization: Making your Chex Mix allows you to customize the ingredients to your liking. Add your favorite nuts, pretzels, or even a touch of heat with a sprinkle of cayenne pepper.
- Freshness and Quality: Say goodbye to store-bought bags and savor the quality of your chosen ingredients. This simple homemade chex mix
- Cost-Effective: Creating your Chex Mix at home is not only delicious, but it's also budget-friendly because you can buy in bulk, and at 26 cups, it goes a long way!
- Perfect for Every Occasion: There's always a good reason to make up a batch of this delicious snack! There's no event that a big bowl of Chex Mix isn't perfect at. Holiday parties, tailgating, work events...you name it...it's always a crowd favorite!
Scroll down for specific ingredient amounts in the recipe card.
- Butter: Salted or unsalted butter, it serves as the base for the sauce, providing richness and a velvety texture, and it also helps the other seasonings adhere to the Chex cereal and other mix-ins.
- Worcestershire Sauce: Adds depth, umami, and the best flavor to the Chex Mix. Its acidity can balance the richness of the butter.
- Seasoned Salt: The key seasoning that provides a balanced blend of salt and various savory herbs and spices.
- Garlic and Onion Powder: These seasonings add depth and complexity which enhances the overall savory profile.
- Corn Chex, Rice Chex, Wheat Chex or Garlic Rye Chips, Cheezits (cheese crackers), Goldfish Crackers, Cheerios, Pretzel Crisps Bites, Roasted Salted Peanuts: These ingredients give this mix its crunch and variety or flavors.
Tools You'll Need
How to Make Homemade Chex Mix
- Melt butter in a saucepan on low heat. Stir in seasonings until blended well. The butter mixture can also be combined in a microwave-safe bowl and heated on low temperature, stirring in 30 second intervals until fully melted.
- Pour the remaining ingredients in a large roasting pan or large sheet pan.
- Pour the melted butter mixture on top of the cereal mixture, and stir until evenly coated.
- Bake in a preheated 250°F oven for 1 hour 20 minutes, stirring every 20.
- Let the chex mix cool on parchment paper, then store in an air-tight container.
Flavor and Mix-In Variations
Flavor mix-ins and variations for homemade Chex Mix provide endless possibilities for creating a snack that suits your preferences. Here are some flavor mix-ins and variations to consider:
- Dried Fruit: To add a touch of sweetness and chewiness, include dried fruit such as cranberries, raisins, or chopped dried apricots.
- Chocolate: Mix in chocolate chips or chunks after the Chex Mix has cooled for a delightful sweet addition.
- Spicy Heat: Kick up the heat by adding a pinch of cayenne pepper, chili powder, or your favorite hot sauce to the seasoning mix.
- Cheesy Goodness: Toss in some cheese-flavored popcorn to infuse more cheesiness to your Chex Mix.
- BBQ Flavors: If you like the flavors of BBQ, add BBQ seasoning, smoked paprika, or even a drizzle of BBQ sauce to the sauce before baking.
- Ranch Seasoning: Create a ranch-flavored mix by adding powdered ranch seasoning to the butter sauce mixture.
- Everything Bagel Seasoning: Embrace the popular everything bagel seasoning for a savory and aromatic blend of garlic, onion, sesame seeds, and poppy seeds.
- Curry Spice Blend: Give your Chex Mix an exotic flair by incorporating a curry spice blend with cumin, coriander, turmeric, and other aromatic spices.
- Sweet and Salty Mix: Add a sweet touch with caramel-coated popcorn, mini pretzels, and a sprinkle of powdered sugar for a sweet and salty combination.
- Trail Mix Inspired: Create a trail mix-inspired Chex Mix by incorporating nuts, dried fruits, and seeds for a nutrient-rich and satisfying snack.
- S'mores Crunch: Combine Chex cereal with mini marshmallows, chocolate-covered pretzels, and a drizzle of melted chocolate for a s'mores-inspired treat.
- Pizza Flavors: Infuse pizza flavors with the addition of pizza-flavored goldfish crackers, Italian seasoning, and a sprinkle of grated Parmesan.
- Cinnamon Sugar Bliss: Toss Chex Mix in a blend of cinnamon and sugar for a sweet and cinnamon-spiced variation reminiscent of cinnamon toast.
- Holiday Cheer: Celebrate the season by adding festive ingredients like red and green M&M's, crushed candy canes, or holiday-themed sprinkles.
- Nut Butter Delight: Enhance the nuttiness by mixing in your favorite nut butter (peanut butter, almond butter) into the butter sauce, creating a creamy and rich coating.
- Pumpkin Spice Magic: Embrace the fall season with a pumpkin spice Chex Mix by adding pumpkin pie spice, candied pecans, and a touch of maple syrup.
Pro Tips and Substitutions
Experiment in Small Batches: When trying new flavor combinations, start with small batches to see how the flavors blend before committing to a larger quantity.
Balance Flavors: Aim for a well-balanced mix of sweet, salty, savory, and spicy flavors. Taste and adjust the seasonings to your liking.
Stir Regularly While Baking: Set a timer to remind yourself to stir the Chex Mix every 20 minutes while baking to ensure an even distribution of flavors and prevent uneven browning.
What to serve with Chex Party Mix
The beauty of this easy recipe is that it has a spot at every party or special occasion and it is the perfect snack that goes with all meals. A few appetizers I recommend to serve alongside this mis are my versatile Party Sub Sandwich, Ricotta Crostini, Mini Cheese and Corn Tarts, and Herb and Onion Dip
Allow your Chex Mix to cool completely. Store it in an airtight container at room temperature. Adding a silica gel packet can help absorb moisture and maintain crunchiness. It's best to consume within 2-3 months.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Halve the recipe and use a 6 quart or larger crockpot. Pour the buttery seasoning over the dry ingredients in the slow cooker. Toss until all the pieces are coated, then cook on low 2 to 3 hours, stirring every 30 minutes.
Ensure all ingredients, including pretzels and bagel chips, are labeled gluten-free. Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce is gluten-free, but check your brand to ensure it is as well. Chex corn and rice are gluten free.
Absolutely! In fact, making it ahead of time is a great idea, especially if you're planning for a party, a snack for the week, or any event where you want to have a convenient and quick snack ready to go.
You can use different seasonings in the butter blend as well as sesame sticks, oyster crackers, and different cereals. After it bakes and cools, you can add different candies, mini marshmallows, chocolate chips, or coconut flakes.
While the traditional Chex Party Mix recipe uses Chex cereal, you can use cereals like Honey Nut Cheerios, Special K with Nuts, or clusters of granola, cornflakes, fiber-rich cereals like bran flakes or whole grain cereals.
The original Chex Party Mix recipe appeared in 1952 on the boxes of Chex cereal. It was marketed as a unique and flavorful way to use Chex, turning it into a savory and crunchy snack. The recipe for Chex Mix included a combination of Chex cereal, pretzels, nuts, and seasoned butter.
The best part about this great snack is that you can customize it to your taste and dietary preferences. You can omit the nuts or substitute with walnuts, pecans, macadamia, almonds, cashews, Brazil, hazelnuts, or a mixed nut blend.
More Party Snack Recipes
The Best Homemade Chex Mix
- 1 cup butter
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoons onion powder
- 4 cups corn Chex
- 4 cups rice Chex
- 4 cups wheat Chex or garlic rye chips
- 4 cups Cheezits
- 4 cups Goldfish Crackers
- 2 cups Cheerios
- 2 cups Pretzel Crisps Bites
- 1 cup roasted salted peanuts
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Melt butter in a saucepan on medium heat. Stir in seasonings until blended well.
- Pour the remaining ingredients in a large roasting pan.
- Pour the butter mixture on top and stir until evenly coated.
- Bake 1 hour 20 minutes, stirring every 20. Allow the mix to cool, then store in an air-tight container.