This casserole will hit the spot when you're craving a delicious comfort food meal that's simple to whip up!
This simple Swiss Chicken Stuffing Casserole, by far, is one of my all-time favorites! Growing up, my mom made it often, and having it for leftovers the following day was even better! The combination of chicken, stuffing, cream of chicken, sour cream, and Swiss cheese is pure magic! It's hearty, full of flavor, and always a family dinner win.
This recipe is quick to assemble and pairs well with nearly any side dish. When I'm in a big hurry to make it, I'll use a store-bought rotisserie chicken as the base. If I have extra time, I'll boil or cook chicken in a Crockpot to make homemade Chicken and Dumplings to go with it. The combo of dumplings and this easy casserole is comfort food heaven!
Table of Contents
What You’ll Need
- Cooked Chicken
- Chicken Broth
- Garlic Powder (optional)
- Flaky Poultry Seasoning (optional)
- Cream of Chicken Soup
- Sour Cream
- Swiss Cheese
- Stuffing Mix
- Butter (not pictured)
Ingredient Amounts Listed in the Recipe Card Below
Tools You’ll Need
- 13"x9" Baking Dish
- Mixing Bowl
Why You’ll Like Easy Swiss Chicken Stuffing Casserole
- It takes less than 10 minutes to prepare before baking!
- It has flavors of comfort food during the holidays!
- The leftovers are just as delicious as the freshly made casserole!
How to Make This Recipe
- While the oven preheats to 350°F, make the casserole. Directly inside a 13"x9" baking dish, mix together the chicken, ½ cup of the broth and seasonings. If the chicken you're using is pre-seasoned, skip the poultry seasoning and garlic. Spread the chicken in an even layer.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cream of chicken soup, ½ cup of broth, and sour cream. Once combined well, spread in an even layer over the chicken.
- Cover the entire casserole with Swiss cheese slices.
- In a separate bowl, mix together melted butter, stuffing, and ½ cup of the broth. Once combined, spread in an even layer on top of the cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes or until the top is toasted and the filling is bubbling at the edges. Allow it to rest at room temperature for 5 minutes prior to serving.
Tips and Substitutions
- What to serve with this delicious quick Swiss Chicken Stuffing casserole:
- Chicken and Dumplings
- Crispy Green Beans
- Glazed Brussels Sprouts
- Steamed Broccoli
- Pan Seared Asparagus
- Roasted Vegetables
- Side Salad
- For the chicken, you can shred a store-bought rotisserie chicken, use leftover chicken, or use canned drained and shredded chicken.
- If you don't like using cream of chicken soup from a can, here is how you can make it from scratch:
- Homemade Cream of Chicken: Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in ⅓ cup all-purpose flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in ⅓ cup milk and ⅓ cup chicken broth until well combined. Season with ¼ teaspoon onion powder and salt and pepper to taste. Stir and cook for 1-2 minutes or until thickened and creamy.
- For the cheese, Swiss cheese is an amazing complement to the flavors of this casserole, but you can easily swap it with your favorite cheeses.
- There are several stuffing brands and varieties on the market. Any style can be substituted for the brand used in my recipe.
- Once the casserole has completely cooled, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- This casserole can also be frozen. Simply store in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
Frequently Asked Questions
Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned Stuffing and Campbell's Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup are not gluten-free. However, there are store-bought gluten-free alternatives to both of these ingredients that can be easily swapped.
As with any recipe, the amount of sodium will depend on the brands chosen, personal seasoning preference, and portion eaten. Low-sodium broth and low-sodium cream of chicken can save on sodium content. There are also stuffing brands that are lower in sodium that you could use.
Yes! You can start the casserole by adding seasoned (your preference) 1-inch cubed chicken breasts or thighs to your casserole dish. Finish the layers as instructed, but bake covered with aluminum foil for 40 minutes then uncover and bake another 10-15 or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165℉.
Absolutely! You could add sautéed chopped mushrooms, onions, carrots, and/or celery to the stuffing layer mixture.
More Recipes Like This
- Easy Chicken Casserole
- Next Level French Onion Chicken
- Cheddar Broccoli Chicken and Rice
- Sweet Onion Casserole
Easy Swiss Chicken Stuffing Casserole
- 3 cups shredded chicken
- 1 ½ cups broth divided, regular or low sodium
- 1 ½ teaspoon flaky poultry seasoning optional (½ teaspoon if using ground)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder optional
- 10.5 oz condensed cream of chicken soup regular or low sodium
- ½ cup sour cream regular or light
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 3 cups herb seasoned stuffing
- 2 tablespoon butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 350℉.
- To a 13"x9" baking dish, mix together chicken, ½ cup of the broth, poultry seasoning and garlic (if using). Once combined, spread in an even layer in the baking dish.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the cream of chicken soup, ½ cup of the broth and sour cream. Once combined, spread in an even layer on top of the chicken.
- Add an even layer of Swiss cheese slices on top.
- In a large bowl, fold together the melted butter, herb seasoned stuffing and the remaining broth. Distribute the stuffing mixture evenly on top of the cheese.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until the mixture is bubbling at the edge and the stuffing is golden brown. Cool 5 minutes prior to serving.
This recipe caught my interest because of the combination of ingredients! It is easily put together -- I used a rotisserie chicken, and has a great blend of flavors!
That is WONDERFUL!! I’m so happy you liked it too!
Made this a few weeks back. Absolutely delicious!
FANTASTIC!! I’m so happy you made it and it was a hit!😁
Just made today. Excellent. I added mushrooms and onions. Will definitely make quite often! Thanks❣️
You’re very welcome! That is WONDERFUL!! I’m so happy you made it and liked it so much!😁
I made this in 2 smaller pans. My husband and I had one, and we are sharing the other with our son and his new wife when we visit them them tomorrow! 😊
Aww!! That is so sweet! I’m so happy you and your hubby liked it so much and I hope the newlyweds do too! So sweet to split and share it like that. Such a great idea😁