Table of Contents
- 2 ½ teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 4 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoon melted butter
- 2 lb package jumbo hot dogs
- ¼ cup baking soda
- 1 egg whisked
- Kosher salt
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together water, sugar and yeast. Cover and rest 10 minutes. Uncover and add flour, butter and brown sugar. Knead the dough 10 minutes. Add dough to an oiled bowl, cover and rest 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Punch the dough and knead for 1 minute: Separate into 8 balls, then roll each ball into flattened logs, about 20-24 inches long. Roll each hotdog with the dough from top to bottom.
- Bring water to a boil in a large pan and whisk in baking soda. Working with 1 to 2 wrapped dogs at a time, add to boiling water/baking soda mixture, cooking for 20-30 seconds. Drain with spatula and transfer to a greased baking sheet. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with desired about of Kosher salt.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until the pretzel dough is brown and cooked on the bottom.
- Serve with cheese dip, mustard or your favorite dipping sauce.