This simple-to-make Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup has rich, delicious flavors and is full of cozy feels!
I’m the first one to say I love a ready-made, store-bought product. They’re quick to use, have a long shelf-life, are cost-effective, fortified with vitamins and minerals, and are delicious. However, homemade is another tasty option that allows you to have more flavor and nutrition content control.
In this easy Homemade Cream of Mushroom soup, browning the mushrooms first adds a depth of flavor and color that sets it apart from its canned alternative. It’s creamy, delicious, comfort food that can be used as a soup and sandwich pairing or as an ingredient in your favorite casseroles, Crockpot dishes, and many more recipes!
This week we had an exciting GIVEAWAY for those subscribed to Dinner in 321! If you missed it, subscribe above and make sure to open your weekly Bits and Bites email. The WINNER of the giveaway is Kimberly B. with her rating and comment on the Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup.
- “Lovin’ the soup recipes and waiting for it to warm up! Have made this twice since finding the recipe. Used just diced tomatoes. Was afraid fire roasted would be too hot for me. Husband and I both loved it. Thank you!”
Thank you to all that participated and CONGRATULATIONS, Kimberly!
Table of Contents
What You’ll Need
Ingredient Amounts Listed in the Recipe Card Below
- All-Purpose Flour
- Chicken Broth
- Flaky Poultry Seasoning
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
Tools You’ll Need
- Skillet or Saucepan
Why You’ll Like Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup
- You have full control of the sodium content in homemade cream of mushroom soup versus canned!
- It takes less than 15 minutes to make!
- It can be made in bulk and frozen for later use!
- It’s savory, creamy, cozy, and delicious!
How to Make This Recipe
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add mushrooms and sauté until tender and slightly browned, 4-6 minutes.
- Add flour, stir, and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in chicken broth, milk, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer. Allow the mixture to simmer and thicken for 3-5 minutes.
- Sample and adjust seasonings to taste. Serve with your favorite sides or as an ingredient in your favorite recipes.
Tips and Substitutions
- The thickness of the soup can be adjusted to preference. You can reduce the milk and/or broth if you want it to be thicker. Alternatively, you can add more milk and/or broth if you want it to be thinner.
- Fresh mushrooms have a better texture and flavor than canned mushrooms, so it's worth the extra effort to slice them yourself. You can use any type of mushroom you like, but keep in mind that different types will have different flavors and textures.
- When adding the broth and milk, whisk constantly to prevent lumps from forming. This will also help the soup thicken evenly.
- If you want a richer, even creamier texture, you can substitute the milk with heavy cream or half-and-half.
- Allow the soup to cool to room temperature then store it in an air-tight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days, or in the freezer for up to 2-3 months.
- When you're ready to reheat the soup, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight (if frozen), then heat it on the stove or in the microwave until it's hot and bubbly.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can use different types of mushrooms, such as button mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms, or portobello mushrooms, to make cream of mushroom soup. You can even use a combination of different types of mushrooms for a more complex flavor.
Yes, you can make cream of mushroom soup ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator or freezer until you're ready to serve it.
No, there is gluten in all-purpose flour. However, you can substitute the flour with cornstarch. Simply omit the flour and instead, whisk the cornstarch into the milk before adding to the broth in the pan.
Yes, you can substitute Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup for canned. There is 10.5oz in a standard can of soup which will equate to approximately 1 ⅓ cups of homemade.
More Recipes Like This
- Cheesy Chicken Alfredo Soup
- Crockpot Pork Roast and Gravy
- Smothered and Covered Pork Chops
- No Peek Beef Tips
Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3-4 oz chopped mushrooms shitake, white button, baby bell, morels
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup chicken broth regular or low-sodium
- ½ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon flaky poultry seasoning or ⅛ teaspoon ground
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add mushrooms and sauté until tender and slightly browned, 4-6 minutes. Add flour, stir and cook for 1 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth, milk, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer. Allow the mixture to simmer and thicken for 3-5 minutes.
- Sample and adjust seasonings to taste.
Leave a Reply