Looking for a fuss-free, flavorful dinner? Look no further than this incredibly delicious and versatile Crockpot Shredded Barbecue Beef!
If you're a fan of hearty and flavorful meals but are limited on time in the kitchen, this meal is the perfect solution. This recipes yields incredibly tender and succulent beef that practically falls apart! It's versatile for so many dishes like sandwiches, over mashed potatoes or noodles, in lettuce wraps or as a pizza topper!
Whether you're hosting a gathering or preparing a weeknight dinner for the family, this recipe is sure to impress. You can also experiment with seasonings and adjust them to your preferences. Once you taste how delicious this beef is and see how many ways it can be used, you'll want to add this to the dinner rotation.
Table of Contents
What You’ll Need
Ingredient Amounts Listed in the Recipe Card Below
- Chuck Tender Roast
- Barbecue Seasoning or Salt and Black Pepper
- Beef Broth
- Barbecue Sauce
Tools You’ll Need
- 6-8 Quart Crockpot
- Large Skillet
Why You’ll like this Recipe
- It takes less than 10 minutes to prepare before cooking in the Crockpot!
- There are only 5 simple ingredients!
- The beef comes out super tender, juicy and flavorful!
- It's a versatile dish and can be used in so many different delicious ways.
How to Make this Recipe
- Season the roast on both sides with barbecue seasoning or salt and black pepper.
- Heat a large skillet on high heat. Sear the seasoned roast 2-3 minutes per side.
- To the Crockpot, add broth and barbecue sauce and whisk until combined.
- Add the roast to the Crockpot, then place butter slices on top.
- Cover and cook on low 7-8 hours or until the beef easily shreds apart with 2 forks.
Tips and Substitutions
- Searing the roast first is optional, but I do recommend it as it provides great color, texture and flavor!
- This juicy beef can be served in so many delicious ways!
- You can get creative with the flavors of this dish by using different seasonings and barbecue sauces!
- I prefer a chuck tender roast or rump roast for this recipe, but you can also use a flank steak. You can also substitute the beef with boneless skinless chicken.
- Once the beef has fully cooled, leftovers can be stored in an air-tight container in the refrigerator up to 3-4 days.
- Leftovers can also be stored in the freezer in an air-tight, freezer-safe container up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can this recipe be made ahead of time?
- Yes! This beef reheats beautifully! Stored properly as noted above, you could make this up to 4 days in advance.
- What if my beef doesn't easily shred at 7-8 hours cook time?
- Standard chuck tender roasts are easily shreddable. However, different roast varieties and the size can impact the cook time. If it doesn't easily shred, cook covered on low an additional hour or two.
- Can this recipe be made in an Instant Pot?
- Absolutely! Turn on the pot's Sauté function. Add a tablespoon of oil and then the seasoned roast cut into chunks. Brown a few minutes on each side. Add the barbecue sauce, butter and broth, adding an additional ½ cup of broth. Close the lid and lock in place. Set the steam release knob to the Sealing position. Set to Pressure Cook/Manual, High Pressure, and use the +/- buttons (or dial) to select 60 minutes. When finished, let the pot sit undisturbed for 10-15 minutes. Release the pressure. When the pin drops, remove the lid. Transfer the beef to a bowl to shred.
- Can this recipe be made in the oven?
- It's wonderful in the oven! Sear the beef in an oven safe skillet that can be fitted with a lid. After searing the seasoned beef, add the remaining ingredients and bake covered at 325 for 3 hours. If at the end of 3 hours your beef doesn't easily shred apart with forks, add 20 minute increments until it is does.
- What are some good side dishes for Crockpot Shredded Barbecue Beef?
- Is this recipe gluten-free?
- This recipe can easily be gluten-free! Simply ensure the seasoning used on the roast prior to searing and the barbecue sauce used don't contain gluten.
More Recipes Like This
- Crockpot Honey Garlic Chicken
- Crockpot Pork Carnitas
- Sweet and Spicy Crockpot Chicken
- Asian Pulled Pork Sliders with Crispy Cucumber Slaw
Crockpot Shredded Barbecue Beef
- 4-5 lb chuck tender roast
- 3 tablespoon barbecue seasoning or salt and black pepper
- 8 oz beef broth
- 2 cups barbecue sauce
- 4 tablespoon butter sliced
- Season the roast on both sides with barbecue seasoning or salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet on high heat. Once hot, sear the seasoned roast 2-3 minutes per side.
- To the Crockpot, add broth and barbecue sauce and whisk until combined. Add the roast to the Crockpot, then place butter slices on top.
- Cover and cook on low 7-8 hours or until the beef easily shreds apart with 2 forks. Serve as desired.