Tender, flavorful and delicious, this super easy Crockpot Mongolian Beef is the perfect weeknight set-it-and-forget-it meal!
Forget expensive take-out! If you’re looking for a minimal effort dinner that the family will love in the comfort of your own home, look no further than this incredible dish! Flank steak, cut against the grain and slow-cooked in a savory sweet sauce, comes out incredibly juicy and flavorful!
This was the 3rd recipe I shared on Dinner in 321, and I still get messages from families saying how much they love it. If you haven’t tried this dish, it’s a must! Cooking really doesn’t get much easier than this meal!
Table of Contents
What You’ll Need
Ingredient Amounts Listed in the Recipe Card Below
- Flank Steak
- Olive Oil
- Fresh Garlic
- Reduced-Sodium Soy Sauce
- Brown Sugar or Brown Sugar Substitute
- Shredded Carrots
- Optional: Green Onions and Sesame Seeds
Tools You’ll Need
- 6-8 Quart Crockpot
- Ziploc Bag
- Silicone Tongs
Why You’ll like this Recipe
- It takes less than 10 minutes to throw together before cooking!
- It’s cheaper and yummier than take-out!
- It’s the perfect meal to come home to after a long day!
- The beef is melt in your mouth tender and DELICIOUS!
How to Make this Recipe
- Cut steak into ½-inch strips against the grain.
- In a Ziploc bag, add steak and cornstarch. Close and shake to coat.
- Add olive oil, garlic, soy sauce, water, brown sugar substitute or brown sugar, and carrots to slow cooker and stir.
- Add flank steak and stir until coated.
- Cook on high 4-5 hours or on low 6-7 hours or until tender. Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds, if desired. Serve over rice, zoodles or noodles!
Tips and Substitutions
- I recommend using low-sodium or reduced sodium soy sauce to ensure the recipe doesn’t taste too salty or too high in sodium. Coconut Aminos can also be used.
- Freezing the flank steak for 15 minutes will make it much easier to slice against the grain.
- If you want to add heat, you can add crushed red pepper flakes, sriracha, hot sauce or chili oil.
- Brown sugar or brown sugar substitute both work in this dish.
- This dish can be substituted with sliced or cubed chicken or pork tenderloin.
- After the beef has cooled completely, store leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator up to 3-4 days.
- Freeze leftovers in an air-tight, freezer-safe container up to 4 months. Thaw in the freezer overnight before reheating.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What goes with Crockpot Mongolian Beef?
- Can another cut of meat be used instead of flank steak?
- Absolutely! I prefer flank steak for this dish, but you can also use hanger steak, skirt steak or sirloin steak.
- Where did Mongolian Beef originate?
- The exact origin is unclear, but is believed to be inspired by Mongolian barbecue. It is commonly served in Chinese-American restaurants.
- Can garlic powder be used instead of fresh garlic?
- Of course! You can use ½-1 teaspoon garlic powder in place of fresh garlic.
- Can this be made on the stovetop?
- Yes! Working in batches, sear ¼-inch sliced and cornstarch coated beef on medium-high in oil 2-3 per side. Remove from the pan, then add the remaining sauce ingredients on medium high. Simmer 2-3 minutes then return the beef to the skillet.
- Can this be made in an instant pot?
- Yes! Just sauté the flank steak on high before adding the sauce ingredients and cook on manual for 10 minutes. Carefully quick release pressure, stir and serve.
- Is this gluten-free?
- Other than the soy sauce, this recipe is gluten-free. Choose one of the gluten-free soy sauce varieties/alternatives to make it a gluten free dish.
More Recipes Like This
- Crockpot Korean Beef
- Crockpot Honey Garlic Chicken
- Crockpot Garlic and Herb Pork Roast
- Balsamic Flank Steak
Crockpot Mongolian Beef
- 1 ½-2 lb flank steak
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2-3 garlic cloves minced
- ½ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup water
- ⅔ cup brown sugar or brown sugar substitute
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- Garnish: green onions
- Cut steak ½-inch strips. In a Ziploc bag, add steak and cornstarch. Shake to coat.
- Add olive oil, garlic, soy sauce, water, brown sugar substitute or brown sugar, and carrots to slow cooker and stir. Add flank steak and stir until coated.
- Cook on high 4-5 hours or on low 6-7 hours or until tender.
- Serve over rice, zoodles or noodles!