Mamaw’s Hoe Cakes And Pone Of Cornbread
- 2 cups self-rising flour white cornmeal mix
- ¼ cup self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½-2 cups whole buttermilk
- ¼ cup butter or bacon grease
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter or bacon grease in a 8-inch cast-iron skillet on medium-high heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together cornmeal mix, flour and baking soda. Stir in the buttermilk just until moistened. Pour the batter into the skillet and transfer to the oven.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until cooked through and golden brown.
- For the hoe cakes, heat 2 tablespoons of the butter or bacon grease in a cast-iron skillet. Once hot, spoon about ⅓ to ½ cup each. Cook about 1-2 minutes per side or until golden brown.