- 1 lb dried pinto beans
- 1 lb ham hock
- 2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tsp salt more to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper more to taste
- 15 oz can white beans drained/rinsed
- Rinse and sort the beans for any pebbles. Add the rinsed beans to a large bowl and cover with 6 cups water. Sit in the refrigerator overnight to allow the beans to absorb the liquid and become tender.
- Next day, drain the beans in a colander. Add the beans to a Crockpot along with 8 cups of water, the ham hock, onion powder, salt and pepper. Stir, cover and cook on low 8-10 hours or until the beans are tender.
- Remove the ham hock and pull the meat away from the bone. Roughly smash the white beans with a fork. Add the white beans and ham to the Crockpot, stir and allow it to cook 15 minutes on high heat.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with cornbread or hoecakes, sliced onions, kraut and wieners, fried potatoes, salmon patties and/or greens.