Table of Contents
Crockpot Red Beans And Rice
- 1 pound Camellia red beans
- 64 ounces regular or low-sodium chicken broth divided
- 1 tablespoons butter or bacon grease
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- Salt and Black Pepper
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon Tony Chachere seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pound andouille or smoked sausage cut into 4-inch pieces
- Rinse the beans well, drain and pour in a shallow dish. Cover with 32oz broth and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- Next day, heat butter or bacon grease in a small skillet on medium-high heat. Sauté the onion, bell pepper and celery until tender and slightly caramelized, about 6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour into a 6 or 8 quart Crockpot along with the soaked beans, remaining broth, garlic, Tony Chachere seasoning, bay leaves and sausage. Cover and cook on low 7-8 hours or until the beans are tender.
- With a potato masher or fork, mash the beans 8-10 times to thicken the mixture. Serve over cooked rice and with cornbread or hoecakes.