Table of Contents
Pork Verde Enchiladas
- 3 ½ lb bone-in pork shoulder
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepepr
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili pepper
- ¼ teaspoon liquid hickory smoke
- ½ cup water
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 10-12 tortillas
- 28 oz green enchilada sauce
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 6 oz Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- 2 oz white cheddar cheese shredded
- In a medium skillet, heat oil on medium-high. Brown pork on all sides.
- In a small bowl, whisk together spices, salt, and pepper. To the slow cooker, add water, garlic, and spices and whisk until blended. Add browned pork to the Crockpot, turning to coat each side. Allow to cook on LOW for 8-10 hours or until a thermometer registers 200ºF.
- Shred meat with 2 forks, set aside. Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Pour ¾ cup enchilada sauce in a 9”x13” baking dish and the remaining sauce into a bowl. Assemble enchiladas starting with a tortilla, followed by ⅓ cup shredded pork, ¼ cup cheese, a pinch of cilantro, and 1 tablespoon enchilada sauce, roll and place in a baking dish. Once all the enchiladas are made, sprinkle top with remaining shredded cheese, cover with aluminum foil, and bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes. Set the oven to broil for another 3-5 minutes or until the cheese has melted and browned.