Table of Contents
Beef Tamale Pie
- 1 box Jiffy cornmeal muffin mix
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup light sour cream
- ½ cup canned cream corn
- ¼ cup chopped jarred jalapeños
- ½ tablespoon butter
- ½ tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and Black Pepper
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 15 oz enchilada sauce
- 2.25 oz sliced black olives drained
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- In a medium bowl combine Jiffy, egg, sour cream, creamed corn and chopped jalapeños, if using. Fold until well blended then pour into a buttered large cast-iron skillet or oven safe pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- While the base bakes, heat oil in a medium pan on medium-high heat. Add chopped onion, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper, cooking for 3-5 minutes or until onion softens. Add garlic and ground beef, breaking into small pieces, cooking until meat is no longer pink, then drain the fat.
- Poke holes in the surface of the cornbread base. Pour half of the can of enchilada sauce over cornbread. Top with the beef mixture, spreading out evenly. Pour remaining enchilada sauce over the beef mixture, then top with olives and shredded cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and broil on high an additional 3-5 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes (otherwise it will fall apart when serving).
- Garnish with guacamole, pico de gallo or salsa.