Frito Chili Pie
Those classic flavors combined…chili and cornbread and walking chili pockets….MAGIC!!
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 large egg whisked
- ½ cup canned cream corn
- ½ cup light sour cream
- ¼ cup chopped jared jalapeño optional
- 1 box Jiffy cornmeal muffin mix
- ½ tablespoon butter
- 2 lb ground beef
- ½ cup diced yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 ½ tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tsp salt
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 14.5 oz can beef broth
- 8 oz shredded cheddar cheese divided
- Garnish: Fritos corn chips, sliced green onions, sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- In a medium bowl combine egg, creamed corn, sour cream, chopped jalapeños, if using, and Jiffy. Fold until well blended then pour into a buttered 12-inch cast-iron skillet or 13”x9”pan (optional: preheat the pan on the stovetop).
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- While the base bakes, in a large skillet on medium-high heat, crumble and cook ground beef until no longer pink. Drain the grease, then stir in onion and garlic, cooking 2 minutes. Stir in chili powder, cumin, salt and tomato paste. Once combined, stir in tomato sauce and broth. Simmer on low for 8 minutes, then fold in ¼ cup of the shredded cheese.
- Poke holes in the surface of the cooked cornbread base. Top with the beef mixture, spreading out evenly. Top with the remaining shredded cheese. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and broil on high an additional 3-5 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes (otherwise it will fall apart when serving). Garnish as desired.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 500kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 29g
Tried this recipe?Mention @dinnerin321 or tag #dinnerin321!
Leave a Reply