The gooey sweet caramel contrasted with the rich chocolate and pecans makes this cake one hard to resist!
Mamaw Estine’s recipes are quite popular on Dinner in 3, 2, 1! They’re old-timey desserts that she’s brought to family gatherings, church revivals and homecomings for decades. Every grandchild and great-grandchild has their “Tine-Tine” favorite, and this one is my sisters. We know you’ll enjoy it!
Table of Contents
What You’ll Need
- German Chocolate Cake Mix
- Vegetable or Canola Oil
- Evaporated Milk
- Caramel Candies
- Butterscotch Chips
- Chocolate Chips
- Powdered Sugar
Tools You’ll Need
How to Make This Recipe
- First you’re going to make the cake batter per package directions with a hand mixer. Once well combined, mix in the butter and evaporated milk. This batter is silky and has a lot of volume!
- Pour half of the batter into a buttered 13x9 pan and bake 15 minutes at 350°F.
- Remove the cake from the oven and evenly sprinkle on top the chocolate and butterscotch chips and pecans. Spread the remaining batter on top, and bake an additional 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Tips and Recipe Substitutions
- Both Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker cake mix brands work in this recipe.
- The butterscotch chips can be substituted with additional chocolate chips.
More Recipes Like This
- 15.25 oz German Chocolate Cake mix
- 1 ¼ cup water
- ½ cup vegetable or canola oil
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup butter melted and slightly cooled
- ⅔ cup evaporated milk divided
- 14 oz caramels
- ½ cup butterscotch chips
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- In a large bowl, whip the cake mix, water, oil and eggs with a hand mixer until well combined. Add melted butter and ⅓ cup of the evaporated milk. Pour half of the batter into a greased 13”x9” pan.
- Bake 350°F for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a microwave safe bowl, melt caramels and evaporated milk together in 20 second intervals, stirring until smooth.
- Remove the par-baked cake from the oven and pour the caramel on top. Spread evenly, then top with butterscotch chips, chocolate chips and pecans. Pour and spread remaining batter evenly on top.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until cooked through. Sprinkle the top with powdered sugar.