Table of Contents
Glazed Cranberry Orange Biscuits
- 2 ¼ cups self-rising flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ cup butter frozen
- 1 orange zested and juiced, divided
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup buttermilk chilled
- ½ teaspoon almond extract divided
- 1 ½-2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tablespoon water
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and sugar. Grate the frozen butter into the flour mixture, lightly stir, and place in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Whisk together buttermilk and ¼ teaspoon almond extract. In a small bowl, combine dried cranberries and ¼ cup of the orange juice. Microwave for 30 seconds.
- Make a well in the center of the flour, and add the buttermilk mixture, half of the orange zest, and cranberries along with the juice from the bowl. Mix just until combined, about 15 folds.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface. Flour a rolling pin and roll into a 9""x5"" inch rectangle. Fold dough in half so the short ends meet. Repeat the rolling and folding process 4-6 times. Cut with a 2” biscuit cutter, reshaping scraps and flouring as needed. Place biscuits on a parchment paper or Silpat lined pan.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- For the glaze, in a medium bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, 2 tablespoon orange juice, remaining zest, ¼ teaspoon almond extract, oil, and water until well combined. Cool biscuits 5 minutes then dip each biscuit into the glaze.