Apple Dapple Cake
This cake has been passed down for generations in my family and is at every family get-together. We also make this cake as mini loaves of bread to give as gifts to neighbors and friends. The smell and first bite transports you straight to mamaw’s house at the holidays and brings back such sweet memories.
Servings: 16 Servings
- 1 ½ cups canola or vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups peeled, chopped apples (honeycrisp or Granny Smith)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, whip together oil and sugar until well combined, about 1 minute. Add eggs, and mix an additional minute. Add flour and cinnamon and mix on medium-low speed. Once combined, stir in apples, pecans and vanilla.
- Pour the batter into a buttered 13x9” pan. Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- When 5 minutes remains on the cake, mix together butter, brown sugar and milk in a small saucepan. Boil 3 minutes, then pour evenly over the hot cake.
Tried this recipe?Mention @dinnerin321 or tag #dinnerin321!
Can you make this cake in a Bundt pan.
Yes, you can. The cake takes about 1 hr 15 minutes to 1 hr 30 minutes to cook through in a bundt pan.
Hi,I've made this cake twice and it's now a favorite in our house. Could you tell me how long I would need to bake this in a mini loaf pan?
That’s WONDERFUL!!! I’m SO excited that you made it not only once, but twice! YAY!! The time on the loaf will depend on the size of pan you use. We did mini loaves, about 4 inches wide, and I believe they were 35-40 minutes. I’ve made it as cakes so long, that I need to try the loaves again. Insert a cake tester to make sure 😉