It’s hard to resist this delicious, easy Crockpot Sweet and Spicy Chicken. It’s so easy and quick to make, with simple ingredients. Bonus, it can be used in a number of ways!
Whether you're looking for a quick, set-it-and-forget-it recipe to throw together or something that will wow guests at your next dinner party, this slow cooker sweet and spicy chicken is sure to hit the spot. And if you're not much of a chef, don't worry—this recipe won't leave you feeling like you've just been in the kitchen all day. If anything, it'll make you feel like your cooking skills are on point!
You can adjust the amount of heat depending on how spicy you want things to be and what kind of kick you're going for. However much spice you decide on adding, let us assure you: this sweet and spicy chicken is going to be good!
A chipotle pepper is nothing more than a fully ripened jalapeño pepper that’s been dried and smoked. Canned in adobo sauce, and often next to the salsa in a grocery store), these peppers lend this tender chicken a wonderful smokey flavor!
This simple sweet and spicy chicken is also great because it feeds a crowd and is versatile in how it can be used. It’s excellent as tacos (as seen here) or as enchiladas, on top of a salad (which I had as leftovers…amazing), quesadillas, nachos, or incorporated in a Mexican-style soup!
Table of Contents
What You’ll Need
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs or Breasts
- Chicken Broth
- Honey or Hot Honey
- Chipotle Chiles in Adobo Sauce
- Taco Seasoning
Tools You’ll Need
How to Make Sweet and Spicy Chicken
- The ingredients are simple and the cooking process is pretty straightforward for slow cooker sweet and spicy chicken. In the Crockpot, whisk together broth, salsa, honey, chiles, and taco seasoning.
- Submerge the chicken thighs so that they’re covered with the sauce. Cover with the lid and set on high or low. High will take 4-5 hours and low will take 6-7 hours.
- Shred the chicken with 2 forks inside of the Crockpot. Taste and adjust with more seasonings or heat if you’d like.
- Serve as you’d wish! Tonight, we had ours as a taco bar!
Tips and Substitutions
- If you don’t have or can’t find Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce, you can substitute this ingredient with 2 tablespoon tomato paste, 1 teaspoon paprika, and 1 teaspoon chili powder. You can add heat with ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes.
- You can serve this tender chicken straight from the Crockpot or serve it in one or more of these delicious ways:
- Salad Topper
- Lettuce Wrap
- Burrito Bowl
- What to serve with this dish:
- Taco Accoutrements
- Black Beans
- Refried Beans
- Sautéed Fajita Veggies
- Chips and Salsa
- Chips and Queso
- This is great to freeze in portions and pop out when you need a quick dinner to reheat!
- Cool completely if you’re planning to freeze it, and then divide it among Ziploc bags or airtight containers. I like to freeze a few 1-or 2-cup portions and save the rest for the week ahead.
Recipes Like This
- Crockpot Pork Carnitas
- Asian Pulled Pork Sliders with Crispy Cucumber Slaw
- Pork Verde Enchiladas
- Fresh Pico de Gallo
Sweet and Spicy Crockpot Chicken
- 2-3 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 16 oz salsa
- ¼ cup honey or hot honey
- 2-3 tablespoon finely chopped chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 2-3 teaspoon taco seasoning
- To a 6 quart or larger Crockpot, whisk together broth, salsa, honey, chipotle chilies and taco seasoning.
- Submerge the chicken. Cover and cook on low 6-7 hours or high 4-5.
- Once the cooking time has completed, shred the chicken inside the Crockpot with two forks.
- Serve chicken as desired.