- 8 tablespoon butter divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 14.5 oz chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 ½ cups shredded cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese divided
- 30 oz frozen hash browns defrosted
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 2 cups cornflakes
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt 6 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté onion 3 minutes. Sprinkle with flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in chicken broth and milk. Bring to boil and let simmer to thicken, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat then stir in 2 cups of the cheese until melted and smooth.
- In a large bowl, fold together hash browns, sour cream and the cheese mixture. Add additional salt and pepper if you’d like. Pour in a buttered or non-stick sprayed 13”x9” baking dish.
- Melt remaining butter and combine with cereal. Evenly spread over the potato mixture, then sprinkle evenly with cheese.
- Bake covered with foil for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and bake an additional 15-20 minutes or until brown and bubbly. Rest for 10 before serving.