Southwest Queso Chicken & Rice
This is one of those dishes the family will be requesting all the time. With the rich flavors, tender chicken and queso topping, it is phenomenal!
Servings: 8 Servings
- 16 oz salsa
- 14.5 oz can regular or low-sodium chicken broth
- 6.8-7 oz package Mexican, Spanish or Arroz con Pollo rice and seasonings
- 2 tablespoon butter cut into thin slices
- 2-2 ½ Lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 ½ cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 cup queso
- Optional add-ins/toppings: sliced olives/pickled or fresh jalapeño and pico de gallo/salsa
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- To a 13”x9” baking dish, whisk together salsa, broth and the contents of the rice box. Disperse butter on top followed by the chicken. Optional, add sliced olives and jalapeño. Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake 1 hour 15 minutes. Remove the aluminum foil and bake another 15 minutes.
- Serve topped with queso and your favorite toppings.
Serving: 1Serving | Calories: 404kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 23g
Tried this recipe?Mention @dinnerin321 or tag #dinnerin321!
Chicken? The chicken isn’t listed in the recipe. How much chicken? Thank you
Hi Bonnie! Thank you for asking! I just added it on the recipe 🙂 I hope you love it!
What would you recommend seasoning the chicken with for this recipe?
I’d say taco seasoning and/or garlic, salt, pepper, southwest seasoning or an all-purpose slat blend. I hope you LOVE it!