Power-Up with Healthy Snacks
Snacking can be an integral part of a healthy meal plan and essential to a healthy lifestyle!
– Healthy snacks can boost brain power! They can fuel your brain and help keep you engaged and alert.
– Healthy snacks can help with weight management! They can help prevent ravenous hunger between meals thus resisting the urge to overeat at mealtime. They can also increase metabolism.
– Healthy snacks can help with blood sugar control! They can help prevent low blood sugar and help with carbohydrate control at mealtime.
– Healthy snacks can help speed up muscle recovery! Exercise or intense activity uses up glycogen stores and snacks can help your body rebuild them.
While the portion and types of snacks can vary from person to person, here are some basic tips to keep in mind when choosing healthy snacks:
– Add a rainbow of colors and flavors with nutritious veggies and fruit.
– Try to keep snacks less than 200 calories.
– Incorporate an element of protein with snacks.
– Avoid stocking up on snacks high in saturated fat and sugar.
– Portion out snacks into smaller containers or bags to help avoid overindulging.
– Aim for 15 grams carbohydrates or less.
– Foods higher in sugar and fat such as chips and sweets can be incorporated as well.Just be sure the portion is limited and eat sparingly.
– Choose snacks that are nourishing, satisfying and tasty.
Here are some excellent go-to snack ideas:
– Pure Flavor® Juno® Bites Red Grape Tomatoes with Mozzarella
– Greek Yogurt with Berries
– Pure Flavor® Aurora Bites Mini Sweet Peppers with Guacamole
– Apple Slices with Peanut Butter
– Celery Sticks with Herbed Low-Fat Cream Cheese
– Baby Carrots with Greek Yogurt Ranch Dip
– Pure Flavor® Uno Bites™ Nano Cucumbers with Greek Yogurt Ranch Dip
– Sugar Snap Peas and Turkey Jerky
– Cottage Cheese and Peaches
– Pure Flavor® Aurora Bites Mini Sweet Pepper Turkey & Cheese Mini Sandwiches
– Dark Chocolate and Pistachios
– Pure Flavor® Sangria® Medley Tomatoes with Feta Cheese Cubes
– Egg Salad Stuffed Pure Flavor® Mini Sweet Peppers
– Tuna with Whole Grain Crackers or Lettuce Wraps
– Chickpea Salad Pure Flavor® English Cucumber Boats
– Kale Chips and Pepper Jack Cheese Stick
– Pure Flavor® Uno Bites™ Nano Cucumbers with Smoked Salmon
– Celery Sticks with Almond Butter
– Broccoli Florets with Greek Yogurt Spicy Ranch Dip
Here’s a delicious recipe that is a perfect nourishing and satisfying snack:
Garlic Rosemary Bean Dip with
Pure Flavor® Uno Bites™ Nano Cucumbers Dippers
3 garlic cloves
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp fresh rosemary, about 4 sprigs
14 oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
Pure Flavor® Uno Bites™ Nano Cucumbers
Garnish: Everything but the Bagel Seasoning, olive oil, paprika
To a blender or food processor, add garlic, lemon juice, rosemary, beans, salt and white pepper. Blend on medium speed until smooth. Add olive oil, and blend once again until smooth and free of lumps. Scrape down the container as needed. Spread in a serving dish, garnish and serve with mini cucumbers.
Approximate Nutrition Information ¼ cup bean dip and 6 mini cucumbers
(makes 10 servings): 122 calories, 5g protein, 12g carbohydrates, 5.4g fat